What is artificial intelligence?
Over the years, a lot has been done especially in the world of technology to better the standard of living and make life easier and fun. Artificial intelligence has played and is still playing a major role in advancing a better standard of life for so many people.
For the newbies, Artificial intelligence (AI) is a branch of computer science which deals the creation of intelligent systems/machines. Experts use AI to impact the way we operate daily by creating computer programs that will help in;
- Knowledge accumulation/management
- And finally, ability to manipulate objects
Through AI development and research, machines are being manipulated to act and react like humans. This is achieved via knowledge engineering which is a core part of Artificial intelligence research.
Knowledge engineering provides the means in which the machines can have access to objects, categories, and properties relating to the human world.
Now, the other very important core part of AI is machine learning which involves the machine learning without being supervised. This usually requires the ability to identify patterns from a pool of data.
Machine perception, computer vision, and robotics are being powered by AI developments. In the case of machine perception and it deals with using sensory inputs to understand various aspects of the world while computer vision brings the power to analyze visual inputs like gesture recognition including facial and object elements.
Robotics, on the other hand, relies on Artificial intelligence to handle object manipulation and navigation.
Applications of artificial intelligence
So far, a lot has been achieved with the help of AI, from SIRI to driverless cars, artificial intelligence is on a steep progression. AI encompasses everything from Google’s search algorithm to Netflix’s movie suggestion system.
Although the current AI systems are merely advanced machines learning software known as narrow AI or weak AI because they are designed to a narrow task like facial recognition or internet searches.
Here are some most popular AI available now:
- Siri: this is Apple’s personal assistance which is the friendly voice-activated system you interact with every day. Siri helps Apple device users find information, locate directions, add events to a calendar, send messages and so much more. The system uses machine learning technology to learn, predict and understand human languages and questions.
- Alexa: Amazon’s Alexa is fast becoming the smart home’s hub. It can decipher speech from anywhere in a room and can help you shop, schedule appointments, set alarms and do so many other cool stuff.
- Tesla: arguably the best car ever made! Designed to self-drive and have predictive capabilities. If you’re into cool cars and technology, you must get yourself a Tesla car. Then, the most amazing part is, the car technology system is always updated over the air and it gets smarter by the day.
- Cogito: this company uses a combination of machine learning and behavioral science to improve customer service interaction. Cogito is a great example of behavioral adaptation to improve customer support emotional intelligence.
- Boxever: the company also uses machine learning to improve customer service experience in the travel industry. Through Boxever’s innovative use of AI, many travel agencies now have new ways to engage their clients.
- Other AI applications include; amazon.com, Netflix, Pandora, Nest etc.
Artificial intelligence future
The advent of big data is lending tremendous support to AI development process and we may be seeing the realization of full or strong AI soon. With the little we’ve, more is expected and experts are working tirelessly to achieve this.
Here are some ways artificial intelligence might affect our future:
- Automated transportation: self-driving cars seem to be making waves at the moment but drivers are still required for safety. The technology obviously isn’t perfect yet but a lot of work is being put into achieving this. Google’s cars have been classified to be the first level down from full automation by the U.S govt. so it’s a start.
- Cyborg technology: there’s already some effort being made to use cyborg-type of enhancements to help amputees deal with the limitations they encounter daily. However, theoretically, the brain would be able to communicate with a robotic limb giving the patient control to move around.
- Solving climate change: machines have increased access to data that any human, it can store numerous details of statistical analysis. With the support of big data, theoretically, AI could help identify trends and useful information which could lead to solutions to the climate change issue.
- Google developing a tool which will help various companies access AI technology without programming code requirements. Usually, u would need programming to train machine learning system. Google Cloud AutoML Vision is now the first set of tool that trains AI without coding. Then, it trains image recognition system via a drag and drop interface.