The Facebook two factor authentication system is a security feature designed to provide an extra layer of protection to user accounts. It is designed to support the normal Facebook password. With the two step authentication, you’ll get alerts whenever your account is accessed from an unknown device.
The main course of discussion for most people especially in the tech world now is data security. Unless offline, you must have heard numerous news of people’s accounts being hacked. Everybody is vulnerable but the risk is higher for some.
The two step authentication is available for all Facebook users. The authenticator is built-into the Facebook app so you don’t need a third-party app for it. If you’re still using only the standard authentication methods, you’re at risk! It is highly recommended that take advantage of the opportunity to switch to the two factor authentication system.
When you enable the two factor authentication on Facebook from you mobile device, an SMS code will be sent to you which will be used to set up the two step authentication. So, when someone attempts to log into your Facebook account, they will need to have a code generated by your mobile device else, they won’t be granted access. This goes a long way to ensure you gain an extra layer of security and not solely depend on the password alone.
How to activate two-factor authentication on your Facebook Account
To set up the two step authentication on your Facebook account, follow these steps;
- Locate and click the drop-down arrow at the top-right corner of your Facebook profile. Go to Security and Login Settings,
- Scroll down till you see Use two-factor authentication then click on the option
- Now, choose which authentication method you desire and follow the steps
- Finally, when you’re done, click enable and you’re good to go.
Authentication methods available to you while signing from an unrecognized device include;
- SMS (text message) codes via your mobile phone
- Security code via a code generator
- Security codes via a 3rd party app
- Approving your login via a recognized device
- And, typing your security key using a compatible device
All the above methods are available for you but you must have the text message code option turned on.
The two step authentication method for Facebook accounts is essential to mitigate your account being accessed by an unauthorized person. It creates an extra layer of security on your Facebook account. This article has shown you the step-by-step procedure to create the two step authentication and we recommend you do it right away. Hope this article was useful and please share with your friends.