Safest Vehicles for First-Time Drivers – For first-time drivers, choosing a new car is no easy feat especially because they are a lot of things to consider before settling for a car including price, safety, fuel efficiency, and long-term reliability.
Also check out: How to Save Money on Car Loan
However, the three most important criteria for choosing a first car are safety, reliability, and affordability. Of course, these criteria are also relevant for anyone looking for a dependable and inexpensive new vehicle.
Safest Cars for First-Time Drivers — Best Choices
- The Hyundai Sonata: this is definitely one of the best cars for new drivers with a great predicted reliability rating of 83 out of 100 score. The vehicle comes with plenty of driver-assistance and crash-avoidance systems, all of which come as standard on the base trim but its class-leading 686-mile range is a top feature amongst hybrids which is thanks to its 45 MPG efficiency in the city and 51 MPG on the highway. This impressive Sonata has a five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and was also chosen by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) as a top safety pick in 2022. No doubt the Hyundai Sonata is an impressive car and comes highly recommended for first-time drivers and all that seek a reliable vehicle.
- Honda Insight: This is Honda’s flagship sedan vehicle and the direct successor to the legendary Honda Civic. The Honda Insight is quite the looker as it is packed under the hood with great power from its gas-electric powertrain and also offers a premium design on the inside, especially because of how well the sedan cancels out road noise. The NHTSA gave the Honda Insight a 5-star safety rating and it also got a 77-out-of-100 J.D. power reliability score. The Insight is also quite economical returning 51 miles per gallon in the city and 45 MPG on the highway. Surely, the Honda Insight is an excellent car for daily driving that also offer premium features. The Honda Insight is definitely one of the Safest Vehicles for First-Time Drivers and is well recommended.
- Mazda3: this is an excellent car for beginners as it has been touted to have an impressive reliability record. Not surprising though as the Japanese manufacturer is renowned for making dependable cars. Specifically, the Mazda3 hatchback boasts an impressive 5-star safety rating from NHTSA. Mazda3 also comes with a big 8.8-inch infotainment display with Bluetooth functionality which is an added feature. Furthermore, the cabin of the Mazda3 is also highly impressive with a plush and modern finish. Also, the Mazda3 comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that returns 36 miles to the gallon on the highway, and it goes on sale for $22,750.
- Hyundai Kona: Hyundai Kona is another car that is recommended for first-timers. This phenomenal subcompact SUV is a great choice for those who want an energetic subcompact SUV. The Kona is a popular SUV line for Hyundai as it comes with a 5-star safety rating from the NHTSA and also a ‘Great’ 83 out of 100 reliability rating J.D. Power. The Hyundai Kona long list of technological and safety features makes it a great choice for first-time drivers and comes highly recommended.
- Subaru Legacy: This is another great car for first-timer owners and also another 5-star rated vehicle by NHTSA for safety. The Subaru offers numerous driver-assistance features which are perfect for first-time drivers, including automated emergency braking, lane-keep assist, and lane-centering features. The Subaru Legacy also comes with a standard four-speaker audio system, Apple CarPlay, an Android Auto. Furthermore, the Subaru Legacy’s 7-inch Starlink infotainment screen is the center of attention in the cabin, and most owners would definitely appreciate the new and improved design, thanks to its comfortable legroom. The Subaru Legacy also delivers a reliability score of 78 out of 100 which is great.