AOL has always offered email services for a long time to its subscribers who pay for the services, however, in 2005 AOL launched a free webmail service to meet up with the competition.
AOL webmail service is known as AOL mail and differs from AOL’s traditional web program, which requires an all-in-one software package.
The new mail system does not require any special software to run, and it is totally free to anyone. Just like every other mail service provider, you can access the mail services through web browsers like Firefox, chrome, safari, and others using internet connection.
When Yahoo, MSN, and Google launched their own free web portals, AOL joined too and changed its mail program from subscriber-based service to a web portal.
To adjust to these changes, AOL increased its AIM storage to 2GB and then offered an unlimited space to its mail accounts. AOL mail users can now easily access their mail accounts by visiting mail.aol.com, using their login details.
How to Use AOL Mail
To start using AOL mail, you need to first:
- Create an AOL mail account by visiting mail.aol.com
- Then click on GET FREE AOL MAIL button
- You will have to select an email address and password; you can also use your AIM screen name and password if you have one. Then you will be automatically given an email address and password, and you can access your emails using your login details.
- The first screen display you see once you log into your mail account is Headlines from AOL news that you can scroll through.
- You can locate other functions of the mail at the left side of the screen
- On the left side of the screen, you will see folders and icons, and the first icon on the screen is the INBOX, and you can access all the emails you received through your inbox, they are all stored on your inbox. The mails received are arranged starting from the newest to the oldest.
- You can simply read new emails by clicking on the mail to open it, the primary actions for responding and managing emails are located at the top of the window. You can perform essential functions like Reply, Delete, Forward, Spam, and Actions, which allows you to move message to other folders, print them, and others.
- To send a message, you can either click REPLY or COMPOSE button at the top left side of the screen. AOL allows its users to create messages using any font, background color, text alignment and others of their choice.
- You can attach images and files to mail by simply clicking the ATTACH button.
- After creating messages and attaching files, you want to simply click the SEND button to send your message to the mail recipient you want. If you are not ready to send out mail, just click the SAVE DRAFT button to move message to the DRAFT folder.
- You can access your calendar and contacts by clicking the CALENDAR and CONTACT icon, which are right below the trash folder. Also, you can access your address book, create new contacts and add other important information through the Contact icon. You can also set events, set their time and date, give them names by simply clicking the Calendar icon.
AOL Mail is just like other webmail programs that offer free email services to users, and you can use this email platform to send and receive emails. It has advanced features such as the AIM panel, To-Do panel, Blog link, and Events panel, which were added on the platform to enable its users enjoy a better mail experience. Its basic and advanced features allow users to carry out mail-related activities on the platform with ease.